Ensure that you maximize the ‘core dual n-back training’ effect by adopting the following principles.
- Minimize going into ‘automatic pilot’ in the game. Ensure you are always putting in effort and the task is always challenging and absorbing.
- Ensure that you work at successfully ignoring distracting information – focusing on only what is needed for target ‘matches’. When interference is high, focus and keep your accuracy levels high.
- In the continuous stream of information, ensure that you continually update the contents of your working memory ‘workspace’, keeping track of the order.
- Monitor your ongoing performance and try to develop effective intuitions about how to channel your effort, provided you try to stay clear of chunking, attention-hopping and playing the odds strategies.
- Don’t assume that there is a linear relationship between n-back level and IQ level, and that by doing everything you can to improve your n-back will pay off in terms of IQ gains.
- Don’t focus on your n-back level at the expense of the principles above.
- After a brief practice period you need to put aside time for two half sessions of 20-30 minutes, for 20 days, making a total of 20 full Sessions. These 20 days should be completed within a maximum of 6 weeks.
- You can combine the half sessions together in one sitting (really tough) or you can divide them into morning and afternoon/evening sessions. This means that on average for each week, you need to train 3-4 full Sessions a week. We do not recommend that you train for more than 5 full Sessions a week.
- After you have completed your 20 full Sessions, you are eligible for the guarantees. After this period, your training will have resulted in long term neuroplasticity change. However, we recommend you continue training for 1-2 hours per week to maintain the gains at their highest level.
Information on how to combine your IQ Mindware brain training with exercise, intermittent fasting, meditation and nutrition can be found in a series of eBooks on brain cross training. Sign up to IQ Mindware’s mailing list to access these eBooks.