These 4 working memory games are designed to improve your ability to focus – to ignore distracting material and ‘override’ your instinctive reactions if they are not helping you perform your tasks efficiently.
As in the Flexibility and Focus games, improvements in this game should also transfer to gains in IQ – specifically in fluid intelligence (also known as Gf). Fluid intelligence is your reasoning and problem solving ability in novel situations, and is measured by the Raven’s IQ tests and other culture-fair matrices IQ tests. There is a particularly close link between focus (interference control) and Gf as explained in the chapter on computerized cognitive training (CCT) in my Brain Cross Training book.
These games are based on the well-known Stroop Effect in cognitive neuroscience, which you can demonstrate to yourself by trying to read out the INK COLORS – ignoring the words – below, starting with green, red…
- Level 1 is a single mode Stroop n-back. You have to watch for n-back matches for either color – ignoring the word, or the word, ignoring the color.
- Level 2 is a spatial version of the Stroop n-back. You have to watch for n-back matches for either the larger square within the game frame, or the smaller square location within the larger square.
- Level 3 is a dual n-back version of the Stroop n-back game you have played in Levels 1 and 2. You will get combinations of large-small square with color-word. Very challenging.
- Level 4 is an episodic n-back version of the dual Stroop n-back – where you are required to integrate information from the two sensory modalities of Level 3. This is the most challenging Focus Game, and completing this Level means you have completed all the Levels of all the Games.
- If you have still not completed your 40 Sessions, you can continue with any previous games in the Game Options panel.